Sunday, November 15, 2009

My London Trip

I (Derek) had a day long interview this Thursday in London. Being a 5 hour train ride away and a 9:00am start I had to go down the day before. I was put up in a very posh hotel, got a bit of attitude from the lady at reception, I think because I was young and not in a business suit.

Unfortunately I ended up getting a headache while on the train, had a horrible night's sleep and still had the headache the next morning.

Thursday morning I got up early had breakfast and then got ready, putting on my suit and gelling my hair. The company had hired a taxi for me and I was greeted by a chauffeur with a sign for the company. At the company for the day I started off with talking to the recruiter and she was able to get me some pain relievers and yet everyone know I was feeling slightly bad.

The interview consisted of written tests followed by discussion about the problems. A 30 min presentation, which I did about Cribbage, 2 straight up interviews, and a chance to hang out with a recent graduate hire for lunch and a tour of the building.

I did pretty well on the tests and during the discussion about them I was able to explain my ideas and expand and improve them, so I think that went really well.

The presentation about cribbage was very nerve racking before hand but once I got started there was so much interaction with the audience that I was able to relax and enjoy the talk. It ended up going so long that I had to cut out about a third of the slides.

Lunch was very nice, I ordered ham, chicken, cheese and lettuce with mayo on a whole wheat roll and it was too big to close the bun. It was a good lunch during which I enjoyed chatting with three relatively new hires, who poked a little bit of fun at my sandwich.

Having 10 hours on a train in two days seems like it would be pretty much unbearable but thanks to the availability of wireless internet I was able to chat with both Paula, and my mom while aboard the train.

I should be hearing from them very soon, and I will update you when I know how things turn out.

No comments: