Sunday, November 22, 2009

They're Coming!

Derek and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of two friends from 'the continent,' who will be staying with us for the next week for the one's graduation. I'm not too nervous anymore, although as I look around the living room I keep spotting more areas that need to be dusted, and I wonder if I should be cleaning the windows or tidying up the counter. This will be the first time that we've had anyone stay overnight since our very first week in Edinburgh, when Derek's cousin stopped by for a couple nights as part of his backpacking trip across Europe. It's therefore also the first time that we've had anyone stay in our new flat, which has resulted in a number of questions and challenges to solve (and some which will just have to unfold).

For example, our flat is very open-concept. The living room and kitchen are one; therefore, our guests will basically be sleeping in the middle of our living room/kitchen/dining room. Also, as we're living in the city centre, our flat is rather tiny, and definitely not built for four. The bathroom is rediculously small, and feels even smaller because the door opens inwards. The bathtub is a tad raised, and the ceiling in there is lowered, so I'm thinking our one guest might not be able to stand up in it. I've raised this issue with him, and as he's quite tall he said its not uncommon so not to worry. But I don't think my dad will have a chance at standing up in there :)

One of the best things about having them come to stay is that we are now totally ready to have people stay. Luckily we have a fold-out couch which makes having people over somewhat comfortable, although it has seen better days and is really only comfortable when lying on your side, but if its a clear morning you'll wake up with a partial view of the castle. There was a nice but dingey Ikea duvet in the closet when we moved in, so we've had it cleaned and bought a gorgeous hot pink and red duvet cover and matching pillow cases (the couch itself is red, so it all works). We also got a couple lime green towels which I love. Ikea really is amazing for bright bedding and linens at a reasonable price. Therefore in the past few days we've gone from having just enough for two people, to being able to handle four or so. So come visit! :)

It should be an interesting week. Lots of reunions with friends from the MSc programme who are coming back for grad, a couple parties I would bet, and the experience of living with 3 other people in a flat built for one or two. Should be some fun, and some very interesting times. I'm sure we'll all get to know each other very well. It's also going to be a busy week for me at school. I've still got another 9 essays to mark, and there's a number of administrative meetings, tutorials and seminars that I need to attend. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: